Sunday, March 27, 2011

Math: I hate you, always have, always will.

Numbers and letters. The two should never mix, and to demonstrate my disgust with Algebra, I refused to solve for 'x'.

In portable 017, my sixth grade self sat in pre-algebra reading the follies of Harry and Ron. "Oh Malfoy, you sad angry little boy," I would chuckle to myself, as Harry zinged him again with J.K.'s carefully crafted dialogue. Hermione nearly dislocates her shoulder raising her hand, and I hear:

"Gillian Maroney, put the book away and pay attention. Your last quiz wasn't your best..." Mrs. Kahler scolds, and I shrink in my seat, which was attached to the desk.


It has been this way all my life: I hate math, and math hates me.

My father is a numbers man, an accountant. I have awful memories of him trying to help me with my homework and getting frustrated when I tried to create personalities and back-stories for why 'x' and 'y' got caught in the terrible mess they were in, also known as problem seven of my homework assignment.

My brother was captain of his school's Math League, and part of the Science Brain Bowl team. I had an imaginary friend in the fourth grade that would drink from the water fountain, and pee on my Keds. I guess it's fair to say that I was a space cadet, a kid with a big imagination, a daydreamer. I read all the time, and math always got in the way.

 I almost failed trig, had to drop "Finite Mathematics" my freshman year of college, and take it at the school back home that summer. I hate fractions. There is a tip converter on my phone, and I was an English major. I haven't seen or heard of a parabola since middle school and I don't think I ever will.

I dread the day when I have mathematically-challenged children of my own, and have to attend those all too familiar parent-teacher conferences with Mrs. Numbersarelife, only to pretend that I'm concerned about Billy's lack of interest in the order of operations.

There is always a chance that my kids will love math, but if not, I have the complete series of Harry Potter on my shelf, waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment